What is ITS?
The Image Transformation Service (ITS) is a unique tool created to take large “mezzanine” images and reduce them to a variety of sizes on the fly. ITS takes a single image and retrofits it into assorted pages and platforms that require many different image sizes. And because ITS connects to a CDN, image retrieval is much faster.
Important notes about ITS
A few things to remember when using ITS:
- Start with the largest image file size possible.
- You can choose to resize and retain the original aspect ratio or you can choose to crop your image.
- Supported output file types are jpg, png, and gif only.
- You must manually add parameters in the decorator to customize the image returned from ITS.
- If using the proxy service, images may take a few days to be cached in the CDN.
For PBS Internal Developers
Watch out for DNS issues - a 404 maybe be returned when using image.pbs.org.
Use Google's DNS.