What is ITS?
The Image Transformation Service (ITS) is a unique tool created to take large “mezzanine” images and reduce them to a variety of sizes on the fly. A single image can be modified so that it will work on pages and platforms that may require many different image sizes. ITS is also capable of cropping images when resizing.
- ITS can crop an image from the center of the image or from an assigned focal point.
- ITS can resize an image while retaining the original aspect ratio.
- ITS is connected to a CDN so image retrieval is much faster.
Try it out!
Important notes about ITS
A few things to remember when using ITS:
- Start with the largest image file size possible.
- Supported output file types are jpg, png, and gif only.
- You must manually add parameters in the decorator to customize the image returned from ITS.
- If using the proxy service, images may take a few days to be cached in the CDN.
For PBS Internal Developers
Watch out for DNS issues - a 404 maybe be returned when using image.pbs.org.
Use Google's DNS.